Ascot d'Oilly Castle
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ascot d'Oilly Castle is situated north of the village of Ascott-under-Wychwood, Oxfordshire (grid reference SP304191). It is a scheduled ancient monument. A fragment of the castle remains and is a Grade II listed building.
It is thought that the castle was built around 1129 and it was demolished soon after 1175. There are fragmentary remains of a stone tower. It was excavated by Jope and Threlfall in 1959 when 12th century pottery was discovered. The remains consist of raised ground surrounded by broad ditching. Only traces of the tower remain and they suggest that it was about 35 feet (11 m) square with walls 8 feet (2 m) thick.
- ^ a b "Ascot d'Oilly Castle". University of Oxford. http://www.ashmolean.org/ash/amps/oha/SitePages/ascot-doilly.html. Retrieved 2007-12-02.
- ^ "Images of England: Fragment of castle". English Heritage. http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/details/default.aspx?pid=1&id=251722. Retrieved 2007-12-02.
- ^ Fry, Plantagenet Somerset (1980). The David & Charles Book of Castles. Newton Abbot: David & Charles. p. 180. ISBN 0-7153-7976-3.
|This article about an English castle is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|