From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Darrell Antwonne Arthur (born March 25, 1988 in Dallas, Texas) is 6'9", 230 lb (100 kg) American professional basketball player for the Memphis Grizzlies of the NBA. He plays the power forward and small forward positions. Arthur played for the University of Kansas in college for two seasons, including the 2007–2008 national championship team. Arthur was originally drafted by the New Orleans Hornets in 2008 but after two trades ended up with the Memphis Grizzlies, with whom he signed on July 8, 2008.
High school career
In high school he guided South Oak Cliff High School to back-to-back Texas 4A state titles in 2005 and 2006 and was the tournament's MVP both years. However, it was later determined that the school illegally changed player's grades to keep them eligible, and the titles have since been forfeited.
His uniform number in college was 00, making him the first Jayhawk to wear that number since Greg Ostertag. Following his freshman season (2006–2007), Arthur was named to the Big 12 All-Freshman team. He was the starting power forward on the 2008 National Championship team. He also was a member of the 1st Team All Big 12 team.
Arthur was selected by the New Orleans Hornets as the 27th overall pick in the 2008 NBA Draft, but was promptly traded to the Portland Trail Blazers for cash. The Trail Blazers then traded Arthur to the Houston Rockets for draft rights to 25th overall pick Nicolas Batum. Soon afterwards, the Rockets traded Arthur to the Memphis Grizzlies for draft rights to the 28th overall pick Donté Greene.
On September 3, 2008, Arthur and fellow former Kansas Jayhawks teammate Mario Chalmers were excused from NBA's Rookie Training Camp following a marijuana-related incident. Police responding to their hotel room following a fire alarm at 2:00 a.m. claimed that the room smelled strongly of marijuana but none was found and no charges were filed. Fellow NBA rookie Michael Beasley was also reported to have been in the room at the time, but was not asked to leave camp. Beasley was later fined $50,000 for his involvement in the incidentArthur later released a statement denying any involvement with marijuana. Arthur was later fined $20,000 by the league for missing the rookie camp, but was not fined or suspended for any drug-related violations.
Arthur is the first cousin of fellow NBA player Quinton Ross.
NBA career statistics
- ^ Memphis Grizzlies Salaries
- ^ Grizzlies Sign Arthur, July 8, 2008
- ^ South Oak Cliff High School stripped of another basketball title
- ^ Arthur Traded 3 times on draft night, ends up with Grizzlies, June 27, 2008
- ^ Chris Broussard, Chalmers, Arthur caught with marijuana at rookie camp, September 4, 2008
- ^ Perhaps The Concerns About Michael Beasley Were Warranted, September 5, 2008
- ^ Report: Arthur, Chalmers Sent Home from Rookie Camp, September 3, 2008
- ^ Beasley fined $50,000 for involvement in Rookie Transition Program incident, September 18, 2008
- ^ Ronald Tillery, Arthur says he learned lesson, September 5, 2008
- ^ Chalmers, Arthur fined $20,000 after rookie symposium incident, September 10, 2008
- ^ Darrell Arthur Biography
- ^ Grizzlies: Grizzlies sign swingman Quinton Ross