Derbyshire and Lancashire Gliding Club
|This article is an orphan, as few or no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from related articles; suggestions are available. (February 2009)|
Camphill is a hill top gliding airfield flanked by ridges on the west side and to the south. The airfield is 3/4 mile long North-South and 600 yards wide East-West. It is an all grass airfield with a well kept smooth surface, there is a hard core perimeter track for easy access to all parts of the airfield.
The hangar is BGA turning point CPH at 53 degrees 18.287N : 001 degrees 43.656W.
The airfield elevation is at 1350 feet AMSL.
At Camphill gliders are launched by three twin drum winches capable of launching gliders to 1200 feet in no wind conditions. During the summer months a winch driver is every day.
The airfield was formed from the fields of Camphill Farm and the clubhouse was once the farmhouse. It is now a listed building. Camphill has been the home of the Club in 1935. First known as a site for hill lift soaring, it became known for thermal soaring and for lee wave lift from the nearby Pennine Hills.
The site is famous in the history of gliding. Some of the UK's pioneers were members of the club. Many National and Regional meets were held here. The 1954 World Gliding Championships were held here.