|Full name||Gareth David Owen|
|Date of birth||21 September 1982|
|Place of birth||Cheadle, England|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|Current club||Port Vale|
|2004||→ Oldham Athletic (loan)||15||(1)|
|2004||→ Torquay United (loan)||5||(0)|
|2005||→ Oldham Athletic (loan)||9||(0)|
|2006–2007||→ Stockport County (loan)||39||(0)|
|2008||→ Yeovil Town (loan)||7||(0)|
|2008–2009||→ Port Vale (loan)||4||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 00:00, 31 January 2010 (UTC).|
† Appearances (Goals).
Gareth David Owen (born 21 September, 1982 in Cheadle, Staffordshire, England) is a professional footballer who currently plays as a defender for League Two side Port Vale. Owen qualifies to play for the Wales national football team through his Welsh mother and has represented Wales at under-19 level.
His career began at Stoke City, signing as a professional in August 2001. He left Stoke for Oldham Athletic in 2005, in search of regular football. His time at Oldham was short and unhappy, though after joining Stockport County on loan in 2006, he found himself enjoying his football again. In 2008, he fell out with the Stockport manager and switched clubs to Port Vale, signing permanently in the 2009 January transfer window.
Owen began his career as a trainee with his local club, Stoke City, turning professional in August 2001. He struggled to establish himself at Stoke, having loan spells with Oldham Athletic in January 2004 and with Torquay United at the start of the 2004–05 season, where he played six games.
He returned to Oldham on loan in March 2005, playing nine times until the end of the season when he was transferred from Stoke to Oldham Athletic for a fee of £50,000. Never fitting in at the club, in May 2006 he put in a transfer request, which was accepted. He later claimed he had 'fallen out of love' with football at Boundary Park.
On 3 July 2006, Owen joined Stockport County on a season-long loan deal. After a successful 2006-07 season, he was voted the club's player of the season and joined Stockport permanently for an undisclosed fee in June 2007.
In the 2007-08 season Owen went on to captain Stockport back to League One, lifting the play-off trophy after a 3–2 win over Rochdale at Wembley Stadium. In the final he actually played with a face-mask due to an injury.
In October 2008 he went out on loan to Yeovil Town after a public falling-out with manager Jim Gannon. After the loan was extended in November he stated his aim to sign a permanently contract with the Glovers, though the next week he ended up joining Dean Glover's Port Vale.
Despite starting his career at Stoke City, in November 2008 Owen agreed to join local rivals Port Vale on loan until January 2009, with a view to a permanent deal. He made his Vale debut on the day the loan move was agreed, helping the Valiants to keep a clean sheet against Barnet despite barely getting chance to meet his new teammates. Owen was expected to sign a permanent deal with Port Vale in January 2009 but was unexpectedly recalled by Stockport in order to negotiate a settlement for the remainder of his contract. This was finally resolved on the 19 January 2009 and he left Stockport by mutual consent to sign for Port Vale on a 2 and a half year contract, which will keep him at Vale Park until summer 2011.
In March 2009, he picked up an ankle injury, which may keep him out of action for the rest of the season. During the downtime he spent time working on his coaching badges and helping Ray Williams on scouting duties.
A key part of the back three in 2009–10, Owen scored his first goal for the club in a 4-0 home win over Grimsby Town on 5 September. He was transfer listed in late September, along with the entire Port Vale squad, after manager Micky Adams saw his team slip to a third consecutive defeat. A key member of the Vale defence, after breaking his cheekbone he once again donned a custom-made protective face mask. He also was forced to take a few weeks on the sidelines in order to undergo surgery, though made a speedy recovery.
Although from Staffordshire (where he played county cricket as a youngster), he supports Chelsea, thanks to his father. Owen's favourite band is Oasis and Paolo Maldini is his favourite player.
He aims to go into management when he retires as a player; in June 2009 he started a course to earn his UEFA Level Two coaching badge. A few months later he began a Sports science degree course at Manchester Metropolitan University.
|Club performance||League||Cup||League Cup||Total|
|England||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Total|
|2001–02||Stoke City||Second Division||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|2002–03||Stoke City||First Division||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|2003–04||Stoke City||First Division||3||0||0||0||0||0||3||0|
|2003–04||Oldham Athletic||Second Division||15||1||0||0||0||0||15||1|
|2004–05||Torquay United||League One||5||0||0||0||1||0||6||0|
|2004–05||Oldham Athletic||League One||9||0||0||0||0||0||9||0|
|2005–06||Oldham Athletic||League One||17||0||3||0||1||0||21||0|
|2006–07||Stockport County||League Two||39||0||1||0||1||0||42||0|
|2007–08||Stockport County||League Two||36||0||2||0||2||0||44||0|
|2008–09||Stockport County||League One||8||0||0||0||1||0||10||0|
|2008–09||Yeovil Town||League One||7||0||0||0||0||0||7||0|
|2008–09||Port Vale||League Two||12||0||1||0||0||0||12||0|
|2009–10||Port Vale||League Two||23||1||1||0||3||0||28||1|
a. Football League Trophy results included in totals.
b. Play-off results included in totals.
- Scores and results list Wales' goal tally first. The "Caps" figures are in bold for games in which he scored
|01 (00)||2001-08-07||Vetch Field, Swansea||Faroe Islands||4–1||Friendly||0|
|02 (00)||2001-08-09||Bridge Meadow Stadium, Haverfordwest||Faroe Islands||8–2||Friendly||0|
- with Stockport County
- ↑ "Opposing View - Oldham". Wrexham FC. 2004-11-17. http://www.wrexhamafc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10311~515675,00.html. Retrieved 2009-01-09.
- ↑ "Port Vale: Yates has new lease of life". The Sentinel. July 14, 2009. http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/portvale/Port-Vale-Yates-new-lease-life/article-1160518-detail/article.html. Retrieved 2009-07-14.
- ↑ "Gulls swoop for Owen". BBC Sport. 30 June, 2004. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/t/torquay_united/3854437.stm. Retrieved 2009-06-07.
- ↑ "Defender Owen signs for Oldham". BBC Sport. 17 May, 2005. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/o/oldham_athletic/4555917.stm. Retrieved 2009-06-07.
- ↑ "Owen's transfer request accepted". BBC Sport. 4 May 2006. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/o/oldham_athletic/4969672.stm. Retrieved 2009-06-08.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 "Interview With Gareth Owen". vitalfootball.co.uk. http://www.stockport.vitalfootball.co.uk/sitepage.asp?a=70232. Retrieved 2009-06-07.
- ↑ "Stockport capture Oldham's Owen". BBC Sport. 3 July 2006. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/stockport/5140882.stm. Retrieved 2009-06-07.
- ↑ "Stockport sign Owen from Oldham". BBC Sport. 4 June 2007. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/stockport/6708507.stm. Retrieved 2009-06-07.
- ↑ "Masked Owen set for Wembley final". BBC Sport. 21 May 2008. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_div_3/7406386.stm. Retrieved 2009-06-08.
- ↑ "Defender Owen now set for Yeovil". BBC Sport. 16 October 2008. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/y/yeovil/7671596.stm. Retrieved 2009-06-08.
- ↑ "Gannon Wants Owen Apology". Manchester Evening News. 2008-10-01. http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/stockport_county/s/1069917_gannon_wants_owen_apology. Retrieved 2009-01-09.
- ↑ "Slade targets Owen loan extension". BBC Sport. 17 November 2008. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/y/yeovil/7733585.stm. Retrieved 2009-06-08.
- ↑ "Owen waits for offer from Yeovil". BBC Sport. 19 November 2008. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/y/yeovil/7737329.stm. Retrieved 2009-06-08.
- ↑ "Defender Owen joins Vale on loan". BBC Sport. 25 November 2008. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/port_vale/7746861.stm. Retrieved 2008-11-25.
- ↑ "Stockport recall Owen from Vale". BBC Sport. 6 January 2009. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/p/port_vale/7813902.stm. Retrieved 2009-06-08.
- ↑ "Hatters defender set for exit". TeamTalk.com. http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1830_4764688,00.html. Retrieved 2009-01-09.
- ↑ "Owen completes move to Port Vale". BBC Sport. 19 January 2009. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/p/port_vale/7837597.stm. Retrieved 2009-06-08.
- ↑ "Glover backed to revive Valiants". The Sentinel. 20/01/2009. http://www.thewonderofyou.co.uk/news/Glover-backed-to-revive-Valiants.aspx. Retrieved 2009-01-20.
- ↑ Shaw, Steve. "Port Vale: Owen out for up to six weeks". March 12, 2009. http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/sport/Port-Vale-Owen-weeks/article-765331-detail/article.html. Retrieved 2009-03-12.
- ↑ "Defender Owen scouting for Vale". BBC SPORT. 31 March 2009. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/p/port_vale/7971342.stm. Retrieved 2009-03-31.
- ↑ "Port Vale 4 - 0 Grimsby". BBC Sport. 5 September 2009. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_3/8234041.stm. Retrieved 2009-09-05.
- ↑ "Port Vale 4, Grimsby Town 0". The Sentinel. September 05, 2009. http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/portvale/Port-Vale-4-Grimsby-Town-0/article-1313858-detail/article.html. Retrieved 2009-09-05.
- ↑ "Owen delighted to be among goals". BBC Sport. 6 September 2009. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/port_vale/8240303.stm. Retrieved 2009-09-06.
- ↑ "Adams puts Vale squad up for sale". BBC Sport. 27 September 2009. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/port_vale/8277136.stm. Retrieved 2009-09-27.
- ↑ "OWEN: WE WILL TAKE A POINT". port-vale.co.uk. 22 November 2009. http://www.port-vale.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10381~1882490,00.html. Retrieved 22 November 2009.
- ↑ "Vale's Owen happy to play in mask". BBC Sport. 23 November 2009. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/port_vale/8374441.stm. Retrieved 23 November 2009.
- ↑ "Port Vale: No masking Owen's disappointment at enforced break". The Sentinel. November 27, 2009. http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/portvale/Port-Vale-masking-Owen-s-disappointment-enforced-break/article-1554019-detail/article.html. Retrieved 27 November 2009.
- ↑ "Vale defender Owen has operation". BBC Sport. 27 November 2009. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/port_vale/8382974.stm. Retrieved 27 November 2009.
- ↑ "Port Vale's Gareth Owen is fully fit after cheek op". BBC Sport. 14 December 2009. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/port_vale/8411576.stm. Retrieved 14 December 2009.
- ↑ "Match Report - Wales 4 - 1 Faroe Islands". faw.org.uk. 7 Aug 2001. http://www.faw.org.uk/fixtures-events/results/match/40. Retrieved 2009-09-13.
- ↑ "Match Report - Wales 8 - 2 Faroe Islands". faw.org.uk. 9 Aug 2001. http://www.faw.org.uk/fixtures-events/results/match/40. Retrieved 2009-09-13.
- ↑ "Gareth Owen (Audio)". BBC Radio Stoke. http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/realmedia/2008/11/gareth_owen_pp.ram. Retrieved 2008-12-31.
- ↑ Shaw, Steve (June 09, 2009). "Port Vale: Owen on first step to being a manager". The Sentinel. http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/portvale/Owen-step-manager/article-1060990-detail/article.html. Retrieved 2009-06-09.
- ↑ "Ben's Banter: Port Vale's Gareth Owen". betfair. 16 September 2009. http://betting.betfair.com/football/ben-herd/bens-banter-port-vales-gareth-owen-160909.html. Retrieved 2009-09-17.