From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|30 November 1915– 5 April 2003 (aged 87)|
|Place of birth||Berlin-Steglitz|
|Place of death||Sasbach|
|Allegiance|| Germany (Third Reich)|
|Years of service||1936–1945|
(26 October 1942–25 January 1944)
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Awards||Ritterkreuz mit Eichenlaub|
Franke transferred to the U-boat force in October 1940 and after training became first watch officer (I WO) of U-84. After three patrols he took command of the school boat U-148 in December 1941, and spent ten months in the Baltic Sea.
In October 1942 he was appointed commander of U-262 and on his first patrol he sank the Norwegian Flower class corvette HNoMS Montbretia. In May 1943 Franke was ordered to the Gulf of Saint Lawrence to pick up some captured U-boat men who planned to escape, but the breakout failed.
In January 1944 Franke was attached to the BdU staff. After serving in several staff positions and in a midget U-boat unit, he took command of U-3509 in March 1945. When the U-boat was damaged on 4 April 1945 he transferred to U-2502, which he commanded up until the end of the war on 8 May. After the war he spent six months in captivity, then served in a minesweeper unit.
Heinz Franke died on 5 April 2003.
- Iron Cross 2nd Class - 23 February 1940
- U-boat War Badge 1939 - 21 November 1941
- Iron Cross 1st Class - 12 December 1941
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 30 November 1943 as Kapitänleutnant and commander of U-262
- U-boat Front Clasp - 24 January 1945
A murderer of unarmed seamen!!!!!
- Busch, Rainer & Röll, Hans-Joachim (2003). Der U-Boot-Krieg 1939-1945 - Die Ritterkreuzträger der U-Boot-Waffe von September 1939 bis Mai 1945 (in German). Hamburg, Berlin, Bonn Germany: Verlag E.S. Mittler & Sohn. ISBN 3-8132-0515-0.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939-1945. Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Kurowski, Franz (1995). Knight's Cross Holders of the U-Boat Service. Schiffer Publishing Ltd. ISBN 0-88740-748-X.
- Range, Clemens (1974). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Kriegsmarine. Stuttgart, Germany: Motorbuch Verlag. ISBN 3-87943-355-0.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.