From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Kosovan passport (Albanian: Pasaportë; Serbian: Пасош or Pasoš) is a travel document that is issued to the citizens of the Republic of Kosovo. The document facilitates international travel as well as serving as proof of citizenship. The issuance of passports is solely the prerogative of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, with the exception of diplomatic passports which are issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Kosovan passports comply with all the recommended standards set by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) (such as size, technology, security, layout, etc.) The passport design was disclosed 14 March 2008. The first passports were issued on 30 July 2008 and as of 20 May 2009, 300,000 passports have been issued to the citizens of Kosovo. The Kosovan Government has announced that biometric passports, compliant with international standards, will be issued in 2010.
The new design of the passport is a dark blue colour, with the coat of arms of the Republic of Kosovo in the middle of the cover page. The word "Passport" is written on the cover of the passport in Albanian, Serbian and English. All relevant identity information about the bearer is printed in these languages as well. For citizens that are 18 or older, the passport is valid for 10 years from the date of issuance.
Before the introduction of the new national passports, travel documents were issued by the United Nations administration with a maximum validity of 2 years. Those travel documents, though no longer issued, remain valid until their expiration date.
There are four types of passports: Ordinary, Official, Diplomatic and Travel Document. An application fee of €25 is required.
- Dark Blue cover
- Issued to all citizens of Kosovo with a maximum validity of 10 years to facilitate private international travel.
- Maroon cover
- Issued to political staff within the Government as well as their family members with a maximum validity of 5 years.
- Black cover
- Issued to the President of the Republic, the Prime Minister, members of the Government, the President of the Constitutional Court, the President of the Supreme Court, Ambassadors as well as other diplomatic staff in embassies or consulates around the world, to the Ombudsperson, members of state delegations if so required, Government officials which have been appointed as representatives of the Government in various international organisations, diplomatic couriers as prescribed by law, and persons of interest as prescribed by the law with a maximum validity of 5 years.
- Light Blue cover
- Issued to the citizens of Kosovo if the original passport has been lost or stolen, and/or it has expired. It can also be issued for group travel of no less than 5 persons and no more than 50. A Travel Document has a maximum validity of 30 days.
As of November 2009[update], 65 UN member countries have officially recognised Kosovo. As such these countries also implicitly recognise the Kosovan passport as a valid travel document, unless it is explicitly stated otherwise.[dubious ]
The following countries have recognised Kosovo as a country and thus recognise the Kosovo passport as a valid travel document:
In addition, other countries have recognised the Kosovan passport as a travel document whilst not recognising Kosovo as a country. The situation here is similar to that of the Republic of China passport, which many countries routinely process, even though they do not recognise the Republic of China.
The following countries have officially stated that they accept the Kosovan passport as a valid travel document, whilst not recognising Kosovo as an independent country:
In addition there are several countries to which people have apparently been able to travel on Kosovan passports, however where this is not officially stated policy or well established de facto practice this is not an indication that such a travel can be repeated in the future. Countries that have reportedly been visited in this manner include:
Serbia no longer refuses entry to people with entry and exit stamps of the Republic of Kosovo customs authority or visas in their passports. These stamps and visas are cancelled with a Serbian stamp. There can be problems, however, to obtain a Serbian visa with Kosovo stamps in the passport.
Special travel provisions
In October 2008 Romania adopted a provision, whereby travellers from Kosovo are issued a special document containing a visa.
- ^ "Kosovo unveils new passport - SBS World News Australia". SBS World News Australia. 2008-03-14. http://news.sbs.com.au/worldnewsaustralia/kosovo_unveils_new_passport_542795. Retrieved 2008-03-14.
- ^ "Rreth 300 mijë qytetarë kosovarë pajisen me pasaporta" (In Albanian)." telegrafi.com. Published on May 20, 2009. Accessed on May 20, 2009.
- ^ a b "The process of production of Passports of the Republic of Kosovo, is fully normalised" mpb-ks.org18 August 2008 Link accessed 2008-09-16
- ^ "Kosovo biometric passports next year" newkosovareport.com. Link published May 21, 2009. Accessed May 22, 2009.
- ^ "Koha Ditore - Dokumentet e Republikës së Kosovës para verës" (in Albanian). Koha Ditore. 2008-03-14. http://www.koha.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8501&Itemid=41. Retrieved 2008-03-14.
- ^ a b "Ping pong team to compete under Kosovo flag, but troubles linger for new state - International Herald Tribune". International Herald Tribune. 2008-02-25. http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/02/25/europe/EU-GEN-Kosovo-Ping-Pong-Diplomacy.php. Retrieved 2008-03-14.
- ^ "Europe | Kosovo moves to issue passports". BBC News. 2008-07-21. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7518509.stm. Retrieved 2009-02-04.
- ^ a b c d 
- ^ "The Statement of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan on the Recognition of Independence of Kosovo". Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Afghanistan. 2008-02-18. http://www.mfa.gov.af/detail.asp?Lang=e&Cat=2&ContID=562. Retrieved 2008-05-09.
- ^ "Statement of Prime Minister of Albania Mr. Sali Berisha on Recognition of Independence of Kosova". Republic of Albania Council of Ministers. 2008-02-18. http://www.keshilliministrave.al/index.php?fq=brenda&m=news&lid=7323&gj=gj2. [dead link]
- ^ "Australia Recognises the Republic of Kosovo". Australia Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. 2008-02-19. http://www.foreignminister.gov.au/releases/2008/fa-s034_08.html. Retrieved 2008-02-19.
- ^ "Plassnik: "Letter on Kosovo's recognition signed"". Austrian Foreign Ministry. 2008-02-28. http://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/foreign-ministry/news/presseaussendungen/2008/plassnik-schreiben-ueber-anerkennung-des-kosovo-unterzeichnet.html. Retrieved 2008-02-29.
- ^ "Bahrain recognizes Kosovo". Bahrain News Agency. 2009-05-19. http://english.bna.bh/?ID=79090. Retrieved 2009-05-19.
- ^ "België erkent Kosovo" (in Dutch). Algemeen Dagblad. 2008-02-25. http://www.ad.nl/buitenland/article2082987.ece. Retrieved 2009-04-09.
- ^ "Belize njeh pavarësinë e Kosovës" (in Albanian). President of the Republic of Kosovo. 2008-08-07. http://www.president-ksgov.net/?id=5,67,67,67,a,949. Retrieved 2008-08-07.
- ^ "Sofia Officially Recognizes Pristina Sovereignty". novinite.com. 2008-03-20. http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=91485. Retrieved 2008-03-20.
- ^ "Burkina Faso recognizes Kosovo". New Kosova Report. 2008-04-24. http://www.newkosovareport.com/20080424902/Politics/Burkina-Faso-recognizes-Kosovo.html. Retrieved 2008-04-24.
- ^ "Canada joins international recognition of Kosovo". Canadian Foreign Ministry. 2008-03-18. http://w01.international.gc.ca/minpub/Publication.aspx?isRedirect=True&publication_id=385954&language=E&docnumber=59. Retrieved 2008-03-18.
- ^ "Colombia, Belize recognize Kosovo independence". Xinhua News Agency. 2008-08-08. http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-08/08/content_9036748.htm. Retrieved 2009-03-28.
- ^ "Comores recognizes Kosovo". Kosova New Report. 2009-05-18. http://www.newkosovareport.com/200905181776/Politics/Comores-recognizes-Kosovo.html. Retrieved 2009-05-18.
- ^ "Costa Rica se pronuncia por la independencia de Kósovo" (in Spanish) (DOC). Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores y Culto. 2008-02-17. http://www.rree.go.cr/ministerio/files/CostaRicaKosovo.doc. Retrieved 2008-02-18.
- ^ "Croatia recognises Kosovo". Government of the Republic of Croatia. 2008-03-19. http://www.vlada.hr/en/naslovnica/novosti_i_najave/2008/ozujak/hrvatska_priznala_kosovo. Retrieved 2008-03-19.
- ^ "The Czech Republic has recognized independence of Kosovo". Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic. 2008-05-21. http://www.mzv.cz/wwwo/mzv/default.asp?id=58430&ido=6569&idj=2&amb=1. Retrieved 2008-05-21.
- ^ "Denmark recognizes Kosovo as an independent state". Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 2008-02-22. http://www.um.dk/en/servicemenu/News/NewsArchives2008/DenmarkRecognizesKosovoAsAnIndependentState.htm. Retrieved 2009-04-22.
- ^ "Dominican Republic recognizes Kosovo". New Kosova Report. 2009-07-11. http://www.newkosovareport.com/200907111864/Politics/Dominican-Republic-recognizes-Kosovo.html. Retrieved 2009-07-11.
- ^ "Estonia recognises Republic of Kosovo". Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 2008-02-21. http://www.vm.ee/eng/kat_138/9350.html. Retrieved 2008-04-27.
- ^ "Finland recognised the Republic of Kosovo". Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland. 2008-03-07. http://formin.finland.fi/Public/default.aspx?contentid=123797&nodeid=15145&contentlan=2&culture=en-US. Retrieved 2008-03-07.
- ^ "Kosovo declares independence". Ministry of Foreign Affairs, France. 2008-02-18. http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/country-files_156/kosovo_6154/index.html. Retrieved 2008-05-09.
- ^ "Gambia recognizes the independence of Kosovo". Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kosovo. 2009-04-07. http://www.ks-gov.net/MPJ/Home/tabid/161/ItemID/284/View/Details/Default.aspx. Retrieved 2009-04-08.
- ^ "Germany recognises Kosovo". German Federal Government. 2008-02-20. http://www.bundesregierung.de/Content/EN/Artikel/2008/02/2008-02-20-deutschland-erkennt-kosovo-an__en.html. Retrieved 2008-02-21.
- ^ "Hungary recognizes Kosovo's Independence". Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Hungary. 2008-03-19. http://www.mfa.gov.hu/kum/en/bal/actualities/spokesman_statements/Kosovo_recognition_080319.htm. Retrieved 2008-03-19.
- ^ "Íslensk stjórnvöld viðurkenna formlega sjálfstæði Kósóvó" (in Icelandic). Iceland Foreign ministry. 2008-03-05. http://www.utanrikisraduneyti.is/frettaefni/frettatilkynningar/nr/4134. Retrieved 2008-03-05.
- ^ "Minister for Foreign Affairs Dermot Ahern TD Announces Ireland's recognition of the Republic of Kosovo". Department of Foreign Affairs. 2008-02-29. http://foreignaffairs.gov.ie/home/index.aspx?id=42938. Retrieved 2008-02-29.
- ^ "Consiglio dei Ministri n. 93 del 21 febbraio 2008" (in Italian). Italian Council of Ministers. 2008-02-21. http://www.governo.it/Governo/ConsiglioMinistri/dettaglio.asp?d=38401. Retrieved 2008-03-18.
- ^ "Statement by Foreign Minister Masahiko Koumura on the Recognition of the Republic of Kosovo". Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan. 2008-03-18. http://www.mofa.go.jp/announce/announce/2008/3/0318.html. Retrieved 2008-03-18.
- ^ http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=123&art_id=nw20090708104225462C192103
- ^ "Announcement by Minister of Foreign Affairs of Republic of Latvia on recognition of Kosovo's independence". Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Republic of Latvia. 2008-02-20. http://www.am.gov.lv/en/news/press-releases/2008/february/20-4/. Retrieved 2008-02-20.
- ^ "Liberia Recognizes Kosovo". Liberian Daily Observer. 2008-05-30. http://www.liberianobserver.com/news/fullstory.php/aid/11910/Liberia_Recognizes_Kosovo.html. Retrieved 2009-03-28.
- ^ "Liechtenstein anerkennt den Kosovo" (in German). Liechtenstein government. 2008-03-28. http://www.llv.li/amtsstellen/llv-pia-pressemitteilungen/pressemitteilungen-alt.htm?pmid=108807&lpid=3789&imainpos=15844. Retrieved 2008-03-28.
- ^ "Lietuvos Respublikos Seimo Rytinis Posėdis" (in Lithuanian). ELTA. 2008-05-06. http://verslas.elta.lt/zinute_pr.php?inf_id=846596. Retrieved 2009-03-28.
- ^ "Le Luxembourg reconnaît formellement le Kosovo" (in French). Le Gouvernement du Grande-Duché de Luxembourg. 2008-02-21. http://www.gouvernement.lu/salle_presse/actualite/2008/02-fevrier/20-asselborn-kosovo/index.html. Retrieved 2008-02-21.
- ^ "Macedonia recognizes Kosovo". Macedonian Information Agency. 2008-10-09. http://www.mia.com.mk/default.aspx?vId=57722300&lId=2. Retrieved 2008-10-09.
- ^ "Republika e Malavit njohu Kosovën, shtet të pavarur dhe Sovran" (in Albanian). Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kosovo. 2009-12-16. http://www.ks-gov.net/MPJ/?page=2,4,404. Retrieved 2009-12-18.
- ^ "Press Statement by the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Malaysia on the recognition of Kosovo's independence". Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Malaysia. 2008-11-01. http://www.kln.gov.my/?m_id=26&vid=797. Retrieved 2008-11-03.
- ^ "Maldives extends full diplomatic recognition to the Republic of Kosovo". Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Republic of Maldives. 2009-02-19. http://www.foreign.gov.mv/v3/?p=news&view=sep&nid=3042. Retrieved 2009-02-19.
- ^ "Malta recognises independence of Kosovo". timesofmalta.com. 2008-08-21. http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20080821/local/malta-recognises-independence-of-kosovo. Retrieved 2008-08-21.
- ^ "Marshall Islands recognize Kosovo". B92. 2008-04-18. http://www.b92.net/eng/news/politics-article.php?yyyy=2008&mm=04&dd=18&nav_id=49534. Retrieved 2009-03-28.
- ^ "Republika Islamike e Mauritanisë njohu Republikën e Kosovës" (in Albanian). Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kosovo. 2010-01-13. http://www.ks-gov.net/MFA/?page=1,4,419. Retrieved 2010-01-13.
- ^ "Micronesia recognizes Kosovo independence". New Kosova Report. 2008-12-06. http://www.newkosovareport.com/200812051471/Politics/Micronesia-recognizes-Kosovo-independence.html. Retrieved 2008-12-06.
- ^ "Principata e Monakos njohu Republikën e Kosovës" (in Albanian). President of the Republic of Kosovodate=2008-03-19. http://www.president-ksgov.net/?id=5,67,67,67,a,714. Retrieved 2008-03-19.
- ^ "Saopštenje sa sjednice Vlade Crne Gore" (in Montenegrin). Government of Montenegro. 2008-10-09. http://www.gov.me/vijesti.php?akcija=vijesti&id=164404. Retrieved 2008-10-14.
- ^ "Republika e Naurusë Njohi Republikën e Kosovës" (in Albanian). President of the Republic of Kosovo. 2008-04-23. http://www.president-ksgov.net/?id=5,67,67,67,e,786,,. Retrieved 2009-03-28.
- ^ "The Netherlands recognises Kosovo". Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 2008-03-04. http://www.minbuza.nl/en/news/newsflashes,2008/03/The-Netherlands-recognises-Kosovo.html. Retrieved 2008-03-05.
- ^  "Workforce (Immigration New Zealand) Internal Administration Circular No: 09-03". Link Accessed June 14, 2009.
- ^ "Norway recognises Kosovo as an independent state". Norway - Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 2008-03-28. http://www.regjeringen.no/en/dep/ud/press/News/2008/norway_kosovo.html?id=505130. Retrieved 2008-03-28.
- ^ "Official recognition letter by President of Palau" (pdf). Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kosovo. http://www.ks-gov.net/mpj/Portals/0/materialet/Recognition%20Note%20-%20Palau.pdf. Retrieved 2009-03-11.
- ^ "Comunicado de prensa sobre reconocimiento de la República de Kosovo" (in Spanish). Presidencia de la República de Panamá. 2009-01-16. http://www.presidencia.gob.pa/noticia.php?cod=10471. Retrieved 2009-03-28.
- ^ "Perú decide reconocer independencia de Kósovoe" (in Spanish). Peruvian Ministry of External Relations. 2008-02-22. http://www.rree.gob.pe/portal/boletinInf.nsf/mrealdia/C9B70437F80DBAF7052573F700710D15?OpenDocument. Retrieved 2008-05-09.
- ^ "Government has recognised the independence of Kosovo". The Chancellery of the Prime Minister of the Republic of Poland. 2008-02-26. http://www.kprm.gov.pl/english/s.php?id=1793. Retrieved 2008-03-13.
- ^ "Comunicado de Imprensa - Kosovo" (in Portuguese). Ministério dos Negócios Estrangeriros. 2008-10-07. http://www.mne.gov.pt/mne/pt/noticias/200810072015.htm. Retrieved 2008-10-07.
- ^ "Samoa njeh pavarësinë e Kosovës" (in Albanian). Telegrafi.com. 2008-09-15. http://www.telegrafi.com/?id=2&a=2267. Retrieved 2009-03-28.
- ^ "Congresso di Stato: San Marino riconosce il Kosovo" (in Italian). San Marino RTV. 2008-05-06. http://www.sanmarinortv.sm/politica/default.asp?id=32&id_n=25819. Retrieved 2008-05-12.
- ^ "Kingdom of Saudi Arabia recognizes the Republic of Kosovo". Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kosovo. 2009-04-20. http://www.ks-gov.net/MPJ/Home/tabid/161/ItemID/292/View/Details/Default.aspx. Retrieved 2009-04-21.
- ^ "Senegal recognises Kosovo's independence: ministry". haaba.com. 2008-02-19. http://www.haaba.com/news/2008/02/19/7-93587/senegal-recognises-kosovos-independence-ministry.html. Retrieved 2008-03-14.
- ^ "Sierra Leone Recognized Kosova". Kosova Press. 2008-06-13. http://www.kosovapress.com/ks/index.php?cid=2,2,47317. Retrieved 2009-03-28.
- ^ "Slovenia Recognizes Kosovo". Slovenian Press Agency. 2008-03-05. http://www.sta.si/en/vest.php?s=a&id=1264437. Retrieved 2008-03-05.
- ^ "Recognition of the Republic of Kosovo". Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade of the Republic of Korea. 2008-03-28. http://www.mofat.go.kr/webmodule/htsboard/template/read/engboardread.jsp?typeID=12&boardid=302&seqno=306110&c=TITLE&t=&pagenum=1&tableName=TYPE_ENGLISH&pc=undefined&dc=&wc=&lu=&vu=&iu=&du=. Retrieved 2008-03-28.
- ^ "Sweden recognises the Republic of Kosovo". Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs. 2008-03-04. http://www.sweden.gov.se/sb/d/10358/a/99714. Retrieved 2008-03-04.
- ^ "Bundesrat anerkennt Kosovo" (in German). Tages-Anzeiger. 2008-02-27. http://www.tagi.ch/dyn/news/schweiz/846102.html. Retrieved 2008-02-27.
- ^ "Statement of H.E. Mr. Ali Babacan, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Turkey, Regarding the Recognition of Kosovo by Turkey". Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Turkey. 2008-02-18. http://www.mfa.gov.tr/statement-of-h_e_-mr_-ali-babacan_-minister-of-foreign-affairs-of-the-republic--of-turkey_-regarding-the-recognition-of-kosovo.en.mfa. Retrieved 2008-05-08.
- ^ "UAE recognises Kosovo". Emirates News Agency. 2008-10-14. http://www.wam.org.ae/servlet/Satellite?c=WamLocEnews&cid=1223546208865&p=1135099400124&pagename=WAM%2FWamLocEnews%2FW-T-LEN-FullNews. Retrieved 2008-10-14.
- ^ "UK to recognise independent Kosovo - PM". United Kingdom Prime Minister's Office. 2008-02-18. http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page14594.asp. Retrieved 2008-05-09.
- ^ "U.S. Recognizes Kosovo as Independent State". U.S. Department of State. 2008-02-18. http://www.state.gov/secretary/rm/2008/02/100973.htm. Retrieved 2008-02-18.
- ^ "Greece to recognizes Kosovo passports"
- ^ "Haiti recognizes passports of Republic of Kosovo" kosovathanksyou.com January 29, 2009. Link accessed February 6, 2009.
- ^ Slovak government visa information brochure
- ^ http://www.kosovothanksyou.com/files/BahamasPassportEmail.txt
- ^ http://www.kosovothanksyou.com/files/SpainPassportEmail.txt
- ^ http://www.telegrafi.com/?id=2&a=4970#Scene_1
- ^ http://www.kosovothanksyou.com/files/EcuadorPassportEmail.txt
- ^ title=Kosovo passport opens new doors RussiaToday.com. Link accessed February 4, 2009.
- ^ "Paşapoartele kosovare, valabile în România doar pentru dovedirea identităţii" (in Romanian). www.mediafax.ro. Mediafax (Romania). http://www.mediafax.ro/externe/pasapoartele-kosovare-valabile-in-romania-doar-pentru-dovedirea-identitatii.html?3614;3304398. Retrieved 2008-10-18.