From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Full name||Louis Bartholomew Dodds|
|Date of birth||8 October 1986|
|Place of birth||Sheffield, England|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Current club||Port Vale|
|–||Ratby & Groby|
|2006||→ Northwich Victoria (loan)||6||(3)|
|2007||→ Rochdale (loan)||12||(2)|
|2007–2008||→ Lincoln City (loan)||41||(9)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 00:00, 31 January 2010 (UTC).|
† Appearances (Goals).
Beginning his career at Leicester City, he enjoyed loan spells with lower league clubs to build up his experience. He signed for Port Vale in July 2008, in search of regular football, which he was given.
Sheffield-born Dodds and his family moved to Leicester when he just five years old, where he joined the Leicester City youth academy at the age of ten. He joined Leicester after being spotted by a talent scout while playing for Ratby & Groby, and whilst there earned himself a call-up to the England under-18 squad. He finished the 2005–06 season with a hat-trick in the final to claim the Westerby Challenge Cup for Leicester, and picked up the Academy Player of the Year trophy having scored 65 goals in three seasons for the Academy and reserves. Dodds was described by the Leicester management as "the most natural finisher at the club".
Dodds signed a new contract with the Foxes to keep him at the club until the summer of 2007, but on 9 October 2006 was allowed to join Conference side Northwich Victoria on loan to gain some first team experience. This loan deal was extended in November, before being recalled by the Foxes at the end of the month due to an injury crisis.
In February 2007 he joined Rochdale on loan, and scored an early winner on his first start. In July 2007 he agreed to a season long loan deal at Lincoln City. He scored nine goals during his spell with Lincoln City and was voted as scorer of the club's goal of the season for his long-range strike against Wycombe. He showed an interest in joining the club permanently and was offered a new contract at parent club Leicester, but instead joined League Two's Port Vale on 21 July 2008, penning a two-year deal.
On 9 August 2008, Dodds made his first start for the Vale in the opening game of the season against Luton Town and he was quick to win over his new supporters; scoring Vale's opening goal of the season with a 20 yard right footed shot. Dodds enhanced his popularity with the Vale faithful furthermore when in the game against Shrewsbury Town he played a one two with striker Marc Richards splitting the Shrews defence for Dodds to score a spectacular shot from the edge of the area, Shrewsbury had not conceded a goal before this at the beginning of the 2008–09 season. It was also to prove Shrewsbury's first home defeat of the season as Vale went on to win the game 2-1, Richards scoring with virtually the last kick of the game.
"I probably don't know where my best position is. Whether it is playing off a big man, in the hole or in the middle of a three, I'm just happy to be playing. The manager [Micky Adams] is probably coming to terms with what my best position is, but I'll play anywhere."—Dodds can be used anywhere in midfield or attack, but prefers to play in the centre of the pitch.
|Club performance||League||Cup||League Cup||Total|
|England||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Total|
|2006–07||Northwich Victoria||Conference National||6||3||0||0||0||0||6||3|
|2007–08||Lincoln City||League Two||41||9||2||0||1||0||44||9|
|2008–09||Port Vale||League Two||44||7||2||3||1||0||48||10|
|2009–10||Port Vale||League Two||26||5||2||1||1||0||30||6|
a. Football League Trophy results included in totals.
- ^ "Search 1984 to 2006 – Birth, Marriage and Death indexes". Findmypast.com. http://www.findmypast.com/post84BMDSearchStart.action?redef=0&searchType=B. Retrieved 2009-05-02.
- ^ a b Shaw, Steve (August 25, 2009). "Port Vale: Dodds targets Wednesday start". The Sentinel. http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/portvale/Port-Vale-Dodds-target-Wednesday-start/article-1280030-detail/article.html. Retrieved 2009-08-25.
- ^ "Northwich snap up Foxes striker". BBC Sport. 9 October 2006. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/northwich_victoria/6035057.stm. Retrieved 2009-05-24.
- ^ "Northwich extend Dodds' loan stay". BBC Sport. 3 November 2006. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/northwich_victoria/6113182.stm. Retrieved 2009-06-06.
- ^ "Foxes recall Dodds from Northwich". BBC Sport. 30 November 2006. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/northwich_victoria/6159279.stm. Retrieved 2009-06-06.
- ^ "Rochdale bag Foxes striker Dodds". BBC Sport. 20 February 2007. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/r/rochdale/6378875.stm. Retrieved 2009-05-24.
- ^ "Lincoln to net Leicester's Dodds". BBC Sport. 31 July 2007. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/lincoln_city/6924066.stm. Retrieved 2009-05-24.
- ^ "Dodds might stay at Lincoln City". BBC Sport. 4 March 2008. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/lincoln_city/7277300.stm. Retrieved 2009-06-06.
- ^ "Dodds offered new deal by Foxes". BBC Sport. 16 May 2008. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/lincoln_city/7404658.stm. Retrieved 2009-06-06.
- ^ "Port Vale complete Dodds signing". BBC Sport. 21 July 2008. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/p/port_vale/7509571.stm. Retrieved 2009-05-24.
- ^ "Dodds Joins Valiants". LCFC.co.uk. 2008-07-21. http://www.lcfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/LatestNews/0,,10274~1348190,00.html. Retrieved 2008-07-21.
- ^ "Luton 1-3 Port Vale". BBC Sport. 9 August 2008. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_div_3/7541153.stm. Retrieved 2009-06-06.
- ^ "Shrewsbury 1-2 Port Vale". BBC Sport. 11 October 2008. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_div_3/7646994.stm. Retrieved 2009-06-06.
- ^ "PLAYER OF THE YEAR - WINNERS". Official Port Vale website. 27 Apr 2009. http://www.port-vale.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10381~1641394,00.html. Retrieved 2009-04-28.
- ^ "Port Vale: Dodds still searching for ideal role". The Sentinel. August 27, 2009. http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/portvale/Port-Vale-Dodds-searching-ideal-role/article-1287025-detail/article.html. Retrieved 2009-08-27.
- ^ "Adams puts Vale squad up for sale". BBC Sport. 27 September 2009. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/port_vale/8277136.stm. Retrieved 2009-09-27.
- Louis Dodds career stats at Soccerbase
- Profile at the Official Port Vale site
- Unofficial Louis Dodds Profile at The Forgotten Imp
|Leicester City F.C.|
Academy Player of the Year