Mergenthaler Vocational Technical Senior High School
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Mergenthaler Vocational - Technical Senior High School|
|3500 Hillen Road|
Baltimore, Maryland 21218
|School type||Public Trade school|
|School district||Baltimore City Public School System|
|Superintendent||Dr. Andres Alonzo (CEO)|
|Area trustee||Janice McCoy|
|Vice principal||Ms. Carter|
|Color(s)||Gold and Royal Blue|
Mergenthaler Vocational - Technical Senior High School, commonly referred to as Mervo, is a public high school and trade school in Baltimore, Maryland. Mervo opened in 1953 as a vocational-technical school, and is named after Ottmar Mergenthaler. The school, according to its website, uses its curriculum to educate students to function in an industrial and challenging technological society. The trades carried at Mervo are Automotive, Baking, Food Service, Child Care, Business, Computer Programming, Cosmetology, Barbering, Masonry, Cabinet Making, Printing, Drafting, Electrical, Plumbing, Welding, and Criminal Justice (added during the 2007–2008 school year). All students must apply and meet certain standards for acceptance to the school.
|This section might contain promotional material and other spam. This is generally not encyclopedic content, and may be removed by anyone when identified.|
If you are familiar with the content of the external links, please help by removing promotional links in accordance with Wikipedia:External links. (You can help!)
Mervo High School's new $1 million football stadium will bear the name of former Baltimore Ravens owner Art Modell.
The unveiling of "Art Modell Field at Mervo" will take place Aug. 21 at the East Baltimore high school.
Ravens owner Stephen J. Bisciotti, cornerback Chris McAlister, Baltimore Mayor Sheila Dixon and Modell will all be in attendance.
The project included the installation of a Sportexe field turf—similar to the field used by the Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium—additional bleachers, a ticket booth and upgrades to restrooms and a concession stand.
The Ravens' All Community Foundation, Bisciotti, McAlister and the NFL Youth Football Fund all teamed to cover the financing of the project.
Specific contributions weren't released but the Ravens said in June McAlister's donation was at least six figures.
The stadium will also become home to the Northwood Football League, serving 300 players ages 5 to 14.
Bisciotti purchased a controlling stake of the Ravens from Modell in 2004. Modell still owns a 1 percent share of the franchise.
Mergenthaler is a "blue ribbon" school which sets pure examples for others to follow.As of June 6, 2009 Mergenthaler for the first time out of any school ever to have more young men graduate than the young ladies. These students will go throughout life to be scholars. They will make a difference because they are the children of the future "the new generation"! The Class of 2009 had many losses this year, even one recently not that long after graduation but they will come together and fellowship. The Class of 2009 will come stronger. The Mergenthaler family give all the families its deepest condelences.
We say rest in peace to Shawn Crosby and Kyle Bianchi
The 400,000-square-foot (37,000 m2) campus is undergoing a remodeling which will revamp the space to be "consistent with the educational and technological standards of the 21st century". The project will take approximately 30 months, and cost $23 million. The project will completely replace mechanical and electrical systems.
- The school scenes in John Waters' 1988 film, Hairspray, were shot at Mervo.
- The football field was named Art Modell Field at Mervo in honor of Art Modell, the longtime owner of the Baltimore Ravens. The field's renovation was spearheaded by The Ravens All Community Team Foundation, Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti, CB Chris McAlister and the NFL Youth Football Fund. The $1 million project includes installation of a Sportexe turf field (like that at M&T Bank Stadium), additional bleachers on the home/away sides, a ticket booth and upgrades to the restrooms and concession stand. Serving as the primary home to the Mervo High School football team, the stadium will also host the Northwood Youth Football league.
- Sisqo — R&B Singer
- Bossman — rapper
- Marcus Hatten — Former NBA player and current EuroCup league MVP
- James Carter - 2005 World Outdoor silver medalist; 3-time USA Outdoor champion (2002, 2004, 2007); 2002 World Cup champion; 4th at 2000 & 2004 Olympic Games
- Edward M. Newcomb Jr. (aka J.J. "Hitman" McKay) — award winning Top-40 disc jockey and program director for various radio stations from San Diego, Ca. to Ocean City, Maryland.
- Young Jazz — American Jazz Band was formed at Mervo in 1998.
- Big-Rob — balto.entertainer of the yr. 1994,1997,1999,2001,2002,2003 naztboy productions. r-r-r entertainment & club owner