Metro Station (band)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
|Genres||Pop rock, synthpop|
|Associated acts||Forever The Sickest Kids , The Secret Handshake , Powerspace, Boys Like Girls|
Metro Station is an American pop band formed in Los Angeles, California. In late 2006, the band signed a recording contract with Columbia/Red Ink. They are best known for their Top 10 Billboard hit single "Shake It" from their self-titled debut album. Popularized mainly by their co-frontman Trace Cyrus, older half-brother of Hannah Montana star Miley Cyrus, and Mason Musso, older brother of Mitchel Musso from Hannah Montana, the band has experienced a recent boom in their record sales.
In 2006, the mothers of Trace Cyrus and Mason Musso introduced them to each other on the set of Hannah Montana, which stars Mason's brother, Mitchel, and Trace's sister, Miley. Sharing musical interests, they decided to form a band. Shortly thereafter, Cyrus recruited Blake Healy from Synthetic Joy as a keyboardist, synthesist, and bassist. Cyrus remained the singer and the lead guitarist. Musso became the group's main singer and rhythm guitarist.
Metro Station soon gained the attention of drummer Anthony Improgo, who was added as the band's drummer after the group released the song "Seventeen Forever" on their MySpace Music website. Musso sang lead on the track. The group's popularity on MySpace Music grew, and the band eventually topped the MySpace Music Unsigned Band's charts.
Metro Station released their self-titled debut studio album in September 2007. The album had two singles released, "Kelsey" and "Control". Although both singles failed to make the charts, with higher sales of the album both became more popular. It wasn't until mid-2008, after the release of the single "Shake It," that the band received a significant amount of commercial exposure, and the song peaked in the top-ten of three US charts. The song peaked at #3 on Hot Digital Songs, #9 in the Pop 100, #10 in the Billboard Hot 100 and peaked at #20 in the Hot Dance Airplay chart. The success of the song also affected album sales, the album charting nine months later in 2008 at #43 in the Billboard 200, #1 Top Electronic Albums and #2 in the Top Heatseekers.
Over the summer, Metro Station toured as one of the special guest acts along with The Maine for the Soundtrack of Your Summer Tour 2008, a tour that was co-headlined by Boys Like Girls and Good Charlotte. The band also opened for other groups such as Simple Plan. Their autumn tours (Disco Balls and Blow Up Dolls) opening acts were Cash Cash, Tyga, and The White Tie Affair. The band toured with The Veronicas on their "Revenge is Sweeter" tour across Australia and New Zealand in February 2009. While in Australia, they recorded a new music video for the song Wish We Were Older and released it on NineMSN on April 4, 2009.
During the Spring of 2009, Metro Station was part of Fall Out Boy's Believers Never Die Part Deux Tour along with Cobra Starship, All Time Low and Hey Monday. The band went to Malta for the Isle of MTV Malta Special on the 8th of July. The band was also the opening act for Trace's half-sister Miley Cyrus on the Wonder World Tour. Metro Station will be releasing a new album in early 2010. In late 2009 Blake Left Metro Station leaving Kenny Bozich the Drum tech to fill in as the synth player for the rest of the Miley Cyrus Wonder World Tour
Kenny Bozich (synth) (since 2009)
- Anthony Improgo – drums, percussion (2006 - 2009)
- Blake Healy – bass guitar, keyboard, synthesizer (2006 - 2009)
- Metro Station (2007)
- Kelsey EP (2009)
- Australian Kids Choice Awards 2008 - Favorite Song - Shake It
- ^ http://wild949.com/iplaylist/artist/980007/?_show
- ^ http://www.cleveland.com
- ^ a b Another Cyrus, another career
- ^ a b "Metro Station Singles Chart History". Billboard.com. http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/retrieve_chart_history.do?model.chartFormatGroupName=Singles&model.vnuArtistId=929481&model.vnuAlbumId=1078075. Retrieved 2008-07-15.
- ^ "Biography - Metro Station". billboard.com. http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/bio/index.jsp?JSESSIONID=QJTrG8lTvfbNwgxpKP6vGJv37x43FdvWrGyHrcD2vGbQ38ymMMTN!-1012323149&pid=929481. Retrieved 2007-10-01.
- ^ Metro Station Complete Debut Album
- ^ "Metro Station Albums Chart History". Billboard.com. http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/retrieve_chart_history.do?model.chartFormatGroupName=Albums&model.vnuArtistId=929481&model.vnuAlbumId=1078075. Retrieved 2008-07-15.
- ^ http://www.metrostationmusic.com/us/news/believers-never-die-part-deux-wfall-out-boy-all-time-low-cobra-starship-and-hey-monday
- ^ Billboard - Good Charlotte, Boys Like Girls Team For Tour
- ^ http://newsblaze.com/story/2008081910430300004.pnw/topstory.html
- ^ http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24502490-5012980,00.html
- ^ http://music.ninemsn.com.au/metrostation
- ^ http://www.metrostationmusic.com/us/news/majority-of-believers-never-die-part-deux-tickets-go-on-sale-in-next-couple-days
- ^ "Miley Cyrus Announces Tour" Kidzworld.com. Retrieved on 2009-07-11.
- ^ Metro Station drummer leaves band - Anthony Improgo parts ways after three years drummerzone.com
- Official Website
- Interview of the band
- Backstage with Metro Station -- Blender.com: November, 2008
- Works by or about Metro Station (band) in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Metro Station Interview in Australia