Nelson Bay, New South Wales
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
New South Wales
Looking north-east across d'Albora Marina
|• Density:||263.6/km² (682.7/sq mi) Note1|
|Area:||15.6 km² (6.0 sq mi) Note2|
• Summer (DST)
|Property Value:||AUD $420,000|
|LGA:||Port Stephens Council|
|State District:||Port Stephens|
Nelson Bay is a suburb of the Port Stephens Local Government Area in the Hunter Region of New South Wales, Australia. It is located on a bay of the same name on the southern shore of Port Stephens about 60 kilometres (37 mi) by road north-east of Newcastle, its nearest rail link. At the 2006 census, Nelson Bay had a population of 4,113. It is a major tourism centre, particularly for dolphin and whale watching, surfing, diving, fishing and other recreational aquatic activities.
The eastern boundaries of Nelson Bay lie within the Tomaree National Park while the southeastern section is almost entirely within the park.
- ^ The density figure provided is that for the whole of Nelson Bay. However, the population listed in the ABS data reside in only about 3.9 square kilometres (1.5 sq mi) (approximately 25%) of the suburb, the remainder being uninhabited for various reasons including that a large portion of the suburb is part of Tomaree National Park. The density in the inhabited area is approximately 1,054.6 inhabitants per square kilometre (2,731.4/sq mi).
- ^ Area calculations are based on 1:100000 map 9232 NEWCASTLE.
- ^ a b Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Nelson Bay (State Suburb)". 2006 Census QuickStats. http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/ABSNavigation/prenav/LocationSearch?collection=Census&period=2006&areacode=SSC18319&producttype=QuickStats&breadcrumb=PL&action=401. Retrieved 2008-05-31. Map
- ^ "Nelson Bay suburb profile @ domain.com.au". domain.com.au. http://www.domain.com.au/public/suburbprofile.aspx?mode=research&suburb=Nelson%20Bay&postcode=2315. Retrieved 2008-05-31.
- ^ a b "Geographical Names Register Extract: Nelson Bay (suburb)". Geographical Names Register (GNR) of NSW. Geographical Names Board of New South Wales. http://www.gnb.nsw.gov.au/name_search/extract?id=ujKqZxWAJP. Retrieved 2008-05-31.
- ^ "Suburb Search - Local Council Boundaries - Hunter (HT)". New South Wales Department of Local Government. http://www.dlg.nsw.gov.au/dlg/dlghome/dlg_Regions.asp?region=HT®iontype=1. Retrieved 2008-05-31.
- ^ "Geographical Names Register Extract: Nelson Bay (bay)". Geographical Names Register (GNR) of NSW. Geographical Names Board of New South Wales. http://www.gnb.nsw.gov.au/name_search/extract?id=ujKqZxWAGH. Retrieved 2008-05-31.
- ^ "Nelson Bay". Department of Lands - Spatial Information eXchange. New South Wales Department of Lands. http://imagery.maps.nsw.gov.au/?role=mysuburb&search=suburb&suburb=Nelson%20Bay. Retrieved 2008-05-31.
- "Nelson Bay (Nelson Head)". Climate statistics for Australian locations. Bureau of Meteorology. http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_061054.shtml. Retrieved 2008-06-02.
|This Port Stephens Council geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|