From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Omegaven is a fatty acid emulsion produced by Fresenius Kabi. It is used for total parenteral nutrition (feeding directly into a venous catheter), e.g. in short bowel syndrome. It is rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
Although the use of Omegaven in children in the United States is experimental, the use of it in adults in Europe is less controversial. In European studies, Omegaven has been associated with a reduction in psoriasis, when contrasted to administration of omega-6 fatty acid Lipoven. Omegaven has also been associated with reduced mortality and antibiotic use during hospital stays.
- ^ Gura KM, Duggan CP, Collier SB, et al. (2006). [Expression error: Missing operand for > "Reversal of parenteral nutrition-associated liver disease in two infants with short bowel syndrome using parenteral fish oil: implications for future management"]. Pediatrics 118 (1): e197–201. doi:10.1542/peds.2005-2662. PMID 16818533.
- ^ Christensen RD, Henry E, Wiedmeier SE, Burnett J, Lambert DK (2007). [Expression error: Missing operand for > "Identifying patients, on the first day of life, at high-risk of developing parenteral nutrition-associated liver disease"]. Journal of perinatology : official journal of the California Perinatal Association 27 (5): 284–90. doi:10.1038/sj.jp.7211686. PMID 17344923.
- ^ ClinicalTrials.gov NCT00172198
- ^ A Doctor's Push For Drug Pits Him Against Its Maker at Wall Street Journal
- ^ Mayser P, Grimm H, Grimminger F (2002). [Expression error: Missing operand for > "n-3 fatty acids in psoriasis"]. Br. J. Nutr. 87 Suppl 1: S77–82. PMID 11895157.
- ^ Heller AR, Rössler S, Litz RJ, et al. (2006). [Expression error: Missing operand for > "Omega-3 fatty acids improve the diagnosis-related clinical outcome"]. Crit. Care Med. 34 (4): 972–9. doi:10.1097/01.CCM.0000206309.83570.45. PMID 16484909.
- Cooke, Robert (2006-07-03). "How fish oil may have saved babies' lives" (HTML). The Boston Globe. http://www.boston.com/news/globe/health_science/articles/2006/07/03/how_fish_oil_may_have_saved_babies_lives/. Retrieved 2007-08-22.
- "Fishing for the Right Solution" at Children's Hospital Boston
- "The Right Kind of Oil" at Children's Hospital Boston
- Team on a Mission at Toronto Star