It differs from a local database, held in an individual computer or its attached storage, such as a CD.
- For the system or software designed to manage a database, see Database management systems (DBMS)
- For information on the structure of a database itself, see Database
- For information on the programs for searching a database, see Search engines
Currently, there are several database products designed specifically as hosted databases delivered as Software as a Service products. These differ from typical traditional databases such as Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, Sybase, etc. Some of the differences are:
- These online databases are delivered primarily via a web browser
- They are often purchased by a monthly subscription
- They embed common collaboration features such as sharing, email notifications, etc.
- For information on the contents of specific types of database, see
|This article does not cite any references or sources.|
Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (October 2009)
- List of online databases
- List of search engines
- List of academic databases and search engines
- Online Soccer database
|This computer network-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|