Paul McGregor (rugby league)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Born||31 December 1967|
|Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia|
|Height||192 cm (6 ft 4 in)|
|Weight||96 kg (15 st 2 lb)|
|1999–2001||St. George Illawarra||34||13||0||0||52|
|1992–1998||New South Wales||14||4||0||0||16|
McGregor played five seasons of first grade at Dapto before being signed by the Steelers at age 23 in 1991. He made his first grade debut in round 1 against the Penrith Panthers at WIN Stadium on 17 March. He played 124 games with the club from 1991 to 1998, scoring 44 tries.
McGregor was the foundation captain of the St.George-Illawarra joint venture from 1999, leading the team into the grand final against the Melbourne Storm. He spent time on the sidelines with injury that year and following a shoulder reconstruction he did not play during the entire 2000 season. McGregor returned to the club in 2001 on an incentive based contract and retired at the end of the season, having played 34 games with the joint venture club.
McGregor represented the NSW Blues in fourteen State of Origin games between 1992 and 1998. He added a touch of class to the Blues backline in the 1990s with his trademark step and wonderful offloads. He was a powerful runner of the football out wide and provided a great combination with his club teammate, Blues winger Rod Wishart. McGregor scored four tries in Origin and was Man of the Match in game II of the 1997 series.
He represented the Kangaroos in three tests from 1994 to 1997 scoring one try.
McGregor joined the Dragons' coaching staff in 2002 as a strength and conditioning coach, a position he also held with the NSW Blues.
- ^ Matt Logue. [Expression error: Missing operand for > "Legend Q&A"]. Rugby League Week (Sydney, NSW: PBLMedia) (5 March 2008): pgs 30–31.
- ^ "The Teams: Scotland". BBC. 2000-01-01. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport/hi/english/static/in_depth/rugby_league/2000/world_cup/team_profiles/scotland.stm. Retrieved 2008-03-26.
- ^ Roy Masters (2007-02-15). "Dragons put premiership before Origin". The Sydney Morning Herald. http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/dragons-put-premiership-before-origin/2007/02/14/1171405294499.html. Retrieved 2008-07-26.
- ^ Cleared Crockett still without NRL club Sydney Morning Herald, 28 December 2008
- Alan Whiticker & Glen Hudson (2007). The Encyclopedia of Rugby League Players. Wetherill Park, New South Wales: Gary Allen Pty Ltd. ISBN 9781877082931.
- Matt Logue. [Expression error: Missing operand for > "Legend Q&A"]. Rugby League Week (Sydney, NSW: PBLMedia) (5 March 2008): pgs 30–31.
- Paul McGregor (rugby league) at the State of Origin official website.
- World Cup 1995 details
- Paul McGregor at NRL Stats