From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaCoordinates:
Not to be confused with Radwell, Hertfordshire
Radwell is a hamlet in the Hundred of Willey in North Bedfordshire, England, on the River Great Ouse, about 7 miles (11 km) north west of Bedford.Administratively, it is often included with the neighbouring village of Felmersham, and the Civil Parish is sometimes known as Felmersham and Radwell.
The hamlet currently has no church, but is considered part of the parish of St. Mary's, Felmersham. A chapel dedicated to St. James, was first recorded in 1204, but fell out of use by the 17th Century. A Methodist Chapel in Moor End Road, built in 1807, has been converted to a residence.
A public house, The Swan, was first recorded as an ale house in 1728, but it has recently closed down due to economic problems.
To the south, the river is crossed by a stone bridge. Built in 1766, it originally cost £292 10s. The road leading into Radwell from the South is Radwell Road and frequently floods after heavy rainfall.
Between the two World Wars, there was a privately run miniature railway, the Radwell Manor Railway, to the north of the settlement, which was occasionally open to the public. It was dismantled around 1940.
At the end of Moor End Road is a riding stable, and further on is Radwell lakes, which is a popular fishing spot with large swan numbers.
- GENUKI resources for Radwell
- Felmersham and Radwell War Memorial
- Felmersham and Radwell
- Radwell Village
- Bedfordshire County Council current information
- Radwell Timeline
- The Swan Inn
|This Bedfordshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|