From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Redington is a ghost town in Pima County, Arizona, United States.
It is located on the banks of the San Pedro River, northeast of Tucson and about 54 km north-northwest of Benson. The area was previously known as Tres Alamos.
Redington Pass is a significant geographic feature northeast of Tucson. Redington Road goes through the pass, from Tucson to Redington.
The Redington area was first settled by Henry and Lem Redfield in 1875. The Redfields petitioned to establish a post office named after them, but the United States Postal Service wouldn't allow for an office to be named after a living person. Instead the brothers used the name Redington, and this name was subsequently used for the community, the pass, the road. The Redington post office was open in 1879 with Henry Redfield as the postmaster. In 1883 Lem Redfield was lynched in Florence on suspicion of being involved with a stagecoach robbery near the brothers' Redington ranch.
Eulalia Bourne, pioneer schoolteacher, rancher and author, taught at the Redington school, 1930-33, where she began publishing her Little Cowpuncher student newspaper.
- ^ Ranching in Pima County, Arizona, a report for the Senora Desert Conservation Plan, Pima County Administrator's Office, Pima County, Arizona
- ^ Sorenson, Dan. Target of major concern, Arizona Daily Star, 18 February 2008.
- ^ Muffley, Bernard W. The History of the Lower San Pedro Vally in Arizona, MA Thesis, 1938, University of Arizona.
Coordinates: 32°25′39″N 110°29′35″W / 32.4275°N 110.49306°W