Republican Majority for Choice
The Republican Majority for Choice is a Republican organization in the United States dedicated to preserving legal access to abortion. The group also supports federal funding for all kinds of stem cell research, inculding Embryonic stem cell research..
The Republican Majority for Choice was renamed from the Republican Pro-Choice Coalition in 2004 after an American Viewpoint Poll commissioned by Republicans for Choice found that 73% of Republicans believe that the decision to have an abortion should be made by a woman and her doctor and not by the government.
The Republican Majority for Choice is allied with other Moderate to Liberal Republican Groups such as The Republican Main Street Partnership, Christine Todd Whitman's It's My Party Too, Ann Stone's Republicans for Choice, the Log Cabin Republicans, The Wish List, Republicans for Environmental Protection, and the Kansas Traditional Republican Majority.
Supported Candidates in 2008 Elections
- Susan Collins Maine
- Mary Bono Mack California
- Chris Shays Connecticut - (Defeated in the 2008 election.)
- Mike Castle Delaware
- Mark Kirk Illinois
- Judy Biggert Illinois
- Lynn Jenkins Kansas
- Rodney Frelinghuysen New Jersey
- Charlie Dent Pennsylvania
- Shelley Moore Capito West Virginia
- ↑ Republican Majority for Choice - 2008 Legislative Priorities
- ↑ John Avlon on Anti-Abortion vs. Pro-Choice
- Republican Majority for Choice website