From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Commune of Roye
|Elevation||67–96 m (220–310 ft)|
(avg. 88 m/290 ft)
|Land area1||15.55 km2 (6.00 sq mi)|
|- Density||411 /km2 (1,060 /sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||80685/ 80700|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
|2 Population sans doubles comptes: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.|
|Starting in 1962: Population without duplicates|
- In 1634, religious refugees from Seville, Spain, known as the illuministes tried to establish themselves in France. They claimed to be inspired by celestial messages. Pierre Guérin, curate of Saint-Georges, was converted and himself created many disciples, called "les Guérinistes". The Catholic Church sought out and executed all of them by 1635.
Places of interest
- Church of Saint Pierre. Rebuilt in concrete in 1930 after considerable damage during the First World War. The 12th century choir and apse and the 15th century stained-glass windows were all saved.
- The Hôtel de Ville (Town hall), built between 1775 and 1777 by the architect Pierre Dercheu was blown-up with dynamite by the retreating Germans on the 17th March 1917. The new building, by local architect Arthur Régnier, was completed in 1932. It is reminiscent of the original by Dercheu.
- Gracchus Babeuf, a protagonist during the French revolution was born nearby and lived and worked here.
- Pierre Guérin, an fr:illuministe preacher. Curate of Saint-Georges church, Roye
- Abbot Jules Corblet (1819-1886), hagiographer for the diocese of Amiens.
- ^ Source : Quotidien fr:Le Courrier Picard (édition de la Somme) du 4 novembre 2007.
|This Somme geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|