From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
St John's College School is a preparatory school founded in the 17th century for the education of the choristers of St John's College, Cambridge, England. The twenty choristers continue to be educated in the school which now numbers 460 boys and girls aged 4–13.
The choral tradition at the college stretches back to its foundation in the early 16th century. Two endowments in the early 1680s in particular secured the continuous history of the Choir from the Restoration onwards. The 22nd Master of St John's, Bishop Gunning, gave money to support the 'maintenance of some singing youths'. The Senior Fellow, John Ambrose, set up a fund for the 'maintenance of a Quire in the Chapel'.
St John's moved to its present location in Grange Road, Cambridge, in 1955, and doubled in size when it amalgamated with the former Byron House School in 1973.
Coordinates: 52°12′35″N 0°06′21″E / 52.209633°N 0.105842°E