Turks in France
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Regions with significant populations|
|Paris · Alsace · Lorraine|
Turks in France (French: Turcs de France Turkish: Fransa Türkleri) are either those who live in France even though they are not citizens of the county, or are French citizens of ethnic Turkish ancesty or with roots from Turkey. After the Turks in Germany, France is the main destination country for Turks who emigrate.
The first Turkish immigrants arrived after World War I. Before that, the number of Turks in France was very small. In the 1920s to the 1960s the postwar reconsturction provided a new incentive to immigrants; then a large number of Turks began to migrate to France at the beginning of the 1970s. 
On May 8 1965, France signed a bilateral agreement with Turkey because the number of entrants from other countries were not sufficient. France started to recruit Turkish labourers in 1970 and, until the recruitment halt decision on 3 July 1974, received a total of 55,710 Turkish workers. According to the 1982 census in France there was 123,500 Turks and in 1999 there was 208,000 Turks in France.
After France and Turkey signed a cooperation agreement in 1966, the number of Turkish immigrants rocketed to more than 18,000 in 1970. In the early 1990s, the number reached 200,000  and by 2004 the figure was 400,000.  In 2005, the number of Turks reached nearly 450,000. 
Organisations and associations
- fr:Comité de coordination des musulmans turcs de France, the coordination committee for Turkish Muslims in France is linked to Turkey. 
Radio France International (RFI) has been broadcasting in Turkish since 1971. RFI programming in Turkish had become a steady factor since 1971, when broadcasts in Turkish were aimed at Turkish immigrants to France who did not yet speak French. The Turkish programming provided Turkish immigrants with news about social and cultural events, as well as information on daily life in France. Following the announcement of the end to RFI's Turkish programming, some labor union representative said that they saw RFI's decision as "reprisal" against Turkey. 
Photos of Turks in France
The Turkish House on the Champs d'Elysées, Paris.JPG
- List of French Turks
- Demographics of France
- France–Turkey relations
- Franco-Ottoman alliance
- Franco-Turkish War
- Turks in Europe
- ^ Hunter 2002, 6.
- ^ Verma, Kalekin-Fishman & Pitkänen 2002, 86.
- ^ 7, 878 in 1948 (Quid 2003, p. 624, b)
- ^ 8,132 in 1901 (Quid 2003, p. 624, b)
- ^ Elif Aksaz. "Les immigrés Turques en France". http://mercprogram.org/pdf/ElifAksaz_MERC_FinalReport.pdf. Retrieved 2009-01-23.
- ^ Akgündüz 2002, 61.
- ^ Akgündüz 2002, 101.
- ^ Rollan & Sourou 2006, 35.
- ^ Lapidus, Ira (2002). A History of Islamic Societies. Cambridge University Press. pp. 793. ISBN 0521779332, 9780521779333. http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=I3mVUEzm8xMC&pg=PA793&lpg=PA793&dq=turks+community+france&source=web&ots=0VuZV3vgoQ&sig=UduaArpN3mlktEf6blr7WiUwMq0&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=10&ct=result.
- ^ Turks.US. "French Turks Cling To Homeland Traditions". http://www.turks.us/article.php?story=20041025125542432. Retrieved 2009-01-23.
- ^ Turks.US. "Turks in France are Confused too". http://www.turks.us/article.php?story=20050528102119909. Retrieved 2009-02-18.
- ^ Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development 2008, 358.
- ^ Ministère des affaires étrangères et européennes. "The Muslim faith in France". http://www.ambafra-pk.org/IMG/pdf/muslim_faith.pdf. Retrieved 2009-01-23.
- ^ Turks.US Daily News. "French radio RFI cuts Turkish broadcasts". http://www.turks.us/article.php?story=FrenchradioRFIcutsTurkishbroadcasts. Retrieved 2009-01-23.
- Akgündüz, Ahmet (2008), [Expression error: Missing operand for > Labour migration from Turkey to Western Europe, 1960-1974: A multidisciplinary analysis], Ashgate Publishing, ISBN 0754673901 .
- Hunter, Shireen (2002), [Expression error: Missing operand for > Islam, Europe's second religion: the new social, cultural, and political landscape], Greenwood Publishing Group, ISBN 0275976092 .
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (2008), [Expression error: Missing operand for > International Migration Outlook: SOPEMI 2008], OECD Publishing, ISBN 9264045651 .
- Rollan, Françoise; Sourou, Benoît (2006), [Expression error: Missing operand for > Les migrants turcs de France: entre repli et ouverture], Maison des Sciences de l'Homme d'Aquitaine, ISBN 2858923302 .
- Verma, Gajendra K.; Kalekin-Fishman, Devorah; Pitkänen, Pirkko (2002), [Expression error: Missing operand for > Education and Immigration: Settlement policies and current challenges], Routledge, ISBN 041527821X .
- Böcker, A. (1996), “Refugee and Asylum-Seeking Migration from Turkey to Europe” Boðaziçi Journal Vol. 10, Nos. 1-2.
- Cahiers d'Etudes sur la Mediterranée orientale et le Monde Turco-iranien (1992), special issue on Turkish immigration in Germany and France, Paris: Centre d'Etude des Relations internationales, n°13.
- Cahiers d'Etudes sur la Mediterranée orientale et le Monde Turco-iranien (1996), special issue on Turkish migrant women in Europe, Paris: Centre d'Etude des Relations internationales, n°21.
- Les Annales de l'Autre Islam (1995), special issue on Turkish diaspora in the World, Paris: Institut national des Langues et des Civilisations orientales, n°3.