West End, Hampshire
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaCoordinates:
The old West End fire station, designed by Herbert Collins
West End shown within Hampshire
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Postcode district||SO30, SO18|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
|UK Parliament||Eastleigh (constituency)|
|Website||West End Parish Council|
|List of places: UK • England • Hampshire|
The Parish of West End in Hampshire is situated within the borough of Eastleigh, and to the north east of the city of Southampton. As well as the village itself, the parish contains the Chartwell Green suburb of Southampton, the Rose Bowl Cricket Ground, St. James CE Primary School, The West End Brewery public house, Southampton Arms Public House and Moorgreen Hospital.
The village is small and generally classed as an area in the outer suburbs or rural urban fringe of Eastleigh because of the surrounding woodland and countryside, including Telegraph Woods and Itchen Valley Country Park.
A series of round barrows, dating from the Bronze Age (2000-600 BC), have been discovered in the Moorgreen area of the parish. There were five of these, all situated behind (ie. to the north of) the present Moorgreen Hospital site. A hilltop fort from the Iron Age was built on the ridge above the village around 600-100BC.. A shutter telegraph station operated from the site during the Napoleonic Wars, forming part of the line connecting London to Plymouth. It was this station that gave the name to the nearby Telegraph Woods.
The village was originally a hamlet which grew up around a track between Romsey and Portsmouth. The hamlet had a chapel by 1552 primarily for the use of the lords of the manor of Allington. When the track became a turnpike road in the early 19th century, the hamlet began to grow.
The hamlet was within the parish of South Stoneham until the ecclesiastical parish of West End was established in 1840, two years after the construction of the original St James' Church. In 1846 a Bible Christian chapel was constructed in Chapel Road. 
An extra room was added to the national school in 1866. In 1871 an independent school for younger children was opened, having been built by Mrs Harriet Hazlefoot.
Harriet Hazlefoot's school became the infants' department of the national school in 1894.
During the 20th century, the school moved again into a new (third) building and was renamed St James' Primary School. The second school building was became Hilldene Community Centre, where a number of adult education courses and other activities take place.
In 1900, two further Methodist chapels were built, one in the Moorgreen area and one in Swaythling Road. In September 1904 the children of the national school were moved to a new location with the old school building becoming the parish hall.
During the 1970s, Maurice Robinson, represented the ward on Hampshire County Council as a member of the Conservative Party.
A Roman Catholic church building was opened in the village in 1961.
The Rose Bowl cricket ground was built in 2000 along with accompanying hotel and conference facilities and a 9-hole golf course. It has hosted several international cricket games and is an incredibly popular site to watch matches for such a small village. The Rose Bowl has also been host to a number of well known musical acts such as Oasis, The Who, Neil Diamond, REM and Billy Joel.
In recent years there has been the West End carnival, however it came to an end, with the last one put on in the summer of 2008.
The three pubs in the village are The Southampton Arms, The Master Builder and The West End Brewery. The Two Brothers pub is in Townhill.
There are two primary schools in the village of West End, St.James school, situated in Monarch Way, and also The Kings school which is a private school.