Westinghouse Electric (1998)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Westinghouse logo (designed by Paul Rand)
|Type||Delaware General Corporation Law|
|Predecessor||Westinghouse Electric (1886)|
The Westinghouse Electric Corporation (WEC) is a Delaware corporation founded in 1998 by CBS Corporation (the renamed 'original' WEC and predecessor of the current CBS Corporation) to manage the intellectual property assets relating to the Westinghouse brand.
CBS Corporation was purchased by Viacom, Inc. in 1999. Viacom renamed itself CBS Corporation in 2005 and spun off a new subsidiary which assumed the Viacom name. This new CBS Corporation retains ownership of Westinghouse Electric Corporation.
Recent history of the Westinghouse brand
- 1995 - The original Westinghouse Electric Corporation acquires CBS from Laurence Tisch
- 1997 - Original Westinghouse Electric Corporation changes its name to CBS Corporation, ending the reign of the 101-year old brand as the name of a major corporation
- 1998 - CBS Corporation founds the present-day subsidiary WEC whose sole role is to own the intellectual property assets of the Westinghouse brand and to license it to other manufacturers and distributors
- 1999 - CBS Corporation sells its remaining nuclear assets to BNFL who operates the business as Westinghouse Electric Company; the business is later sold to the Toshiba Group and currently operates under its present name. CBS is also acquired by Viacom.
- 2005 - Viacom changes its name to CBS Corporation and spins off a new subsidiary company that calls itself Viacom. CBS Corporation retains ownership of WEC.
Licensing of the Westinghouse brand
Starting in 1998, the new WEC has licensed the famous brand for use on a multitude of products, some (though not all) of which were in similar categories to those sold by the historic version of the company. It should be noted that, though these products advertise the Westinghouse name, they are neither manufactured by the historic Westinghouse company nor are the quality standards necessarily actively maintained by WEC.
Active licensees of WEC
- Westinghouse Digital Electronics, selling LCD televisions and related products
- Westinghouse Lighting Corporation (formerly Angelo Brothers), selling light bulbs, ceiling fans, and lighting fixtures
- Salton, Inc., selling vacuum cleaners
- Linear LLC d/b/a Westinghouse-home.com, selling garage-door openers and wireless intercoms
- The NCC, selling electrical accessories, flashlights, timers and remotes
- Nordyne, d/b/a Westinghouse Heating and Cooling, selling HVAC systems
- International Development Corporation d/b/a Westinghouse Solar Lights, selling solar lighting
- Electrolux Group, selling Westinghouse branded refrigerator, washing machine and dishwashers in Australia.
- Westinghouse Ceiling Fans
- Westinghouse Digital
- The NCC
- Westinghouse Home
- Westinghouse HVAC
- Westinghouse Lighting
- Westinghouse Solar Lights