With You (Chris Brown song)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Single by Chris Brown|
|from the album Exclusive|
|Released||December 11, 2007 (U.S.)|
March 24, 2008 (UK)
|Format||CD, Digital download, Ringtone|
(New York City, New York)
|Writer(s)||Johntá Austin, Tor Erik Hermansen, Mikkel Eriksen, Espen Lind, Amund Bjørklund|
|Certification||2x Platinum ARIA, RIAA, RIANZ ,|
|Chris Brown singles chronology|
"With You" is a pop/R&B song by Chris Brown, nominated for 2008 MTV Video Music Awards and written by Johntá Austin, Tor Erik Hermansen, Mikkel Eriksen, Espen Lind, Amund Bjørklund, and produced by Stargate. It was released as the third single from Brown's second studio album Exclusive (2007). Most fans and critics agree that the song is very similar to Beyoncé Knowles's hit "Irreplaceable", though Chris nor Stargate ever received any backlash for the song.
Following the less successful worldwide chart performances of previous singles "Wall to Wall" and "Kiss Kiss", "With You" was released on December 4, 2007 in the United States as the album's third single, and the second single in most international music markets.
"With You" was a worldwide commercial and critical success, becoming Brown's second best-selling single and Exclusive's most successful release. The single performed well on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100, remaining at number two for six non-consecutive weeks.
While his two previous single had up-beat / hip-hop influenced tempo, "With You" was well-received by critics for its simple, strumming guitar harmony. Bill Lamb of About.com gave the song four and a half stars, and characterized it as "perfect slow dance option". He said "Chris Brown makes countless young fans swoon, but, until now, he has not yet released a top-notch romantic performance. With You is that performance. The lyrics may be a bit simplistic in the "you're everything, you make me swoon" style, but this sound is a great one for staring into your lover's eyes as you make your way across a darkened dance floor. This is the first great wedding/prom song of 2008". He complimented Stargate for the "instrumental track based around strumming guitar similar to their phenomenal success with Beyoncé's "Irreplaceable". He also said, "With You helps prove that Chris Brown is not only an amazingly talented dancer, he can truly communicate to an audience vocally as well. Look for this song as a key choice at romantic shenanigans events 2008 and beyond" and he also said it was "Chris Brown's best romantic vocal performance yet".
Rob Sheffield of Rolling Stone Magazine said that the song was “the convincer”. He also said “even if you can instantly tell that producer Stargate was just trying to roll out "Irreplaceable" one more time — Brown moans over the acoustic-guitar loop with a poignant R&B surge, sending this one out to hearts all over the world tonight." Chris Brown Also says this song is one of his most influential songs by far on his album, "Exclusive", stating that this song reaches out to many of the fans that support him.
In a November 8, 2007 interview with MTV, Brown stated that he co-directed the video as well. "And it shows me more solo. Like, it shows the grown side of Chris – it doesn't show the kiddie side. 'Cause with this album, I wanted to blend, I wanted to do all different visuals of me. The first [video] 'Wall to Wall,' the acting, the vampires, the spookiness, then you go to 'Kiss, Kiss,' that had the little goofy part, now this one is solo, the main [performer] is me. Me freestyle dancing – just showing people me naturally, not a choreographed routine, just me dancing and showing you what I'm capable of. But at the same time, I was just having fun with the camera, and just one-on-one time with me and my audience."
The video was quite popular in American television, reaching number 1 on BET's 106 & Park for 6 days, and staying on the countdown for 38 days. It has also reached number 1 on MTV TRL for 10 days, replacing Flo Rida's "Low" and finally retired at number 1 after it stayed on the countdown for 35 days. The video was popular enough across Asia, by debuting at number 3 on MTV Asia urban music countdown, "Hip Hop Countdown" and has reached number 1 for four non-consecutive weeks on the countdown and has stayed in the top 5 for ten weeks so far. In UK, it has reached number 5 on MTV Base. It also has peaked at number 1 on the MTV Online Chart.
"With You" has become Brown's second biggest worldwide hit behind "Run It!". The single debuted on the US Billboard Hot 100 at number seventy-two on December 15, 2007. It ascended to number-forty the following week, after an increase in digital sales and radio airplay. "With You" eventually peaked at number-two on the chart on February 16, 2008. It spent six non-consecutive weeks in the position, but was unable to reach the summit due to the success of the singles "Low" by Flo Rida and "Love in This Club" by Usher. "With You" is also Brown's sixth top ten hit and second from Exclusive.
"With You" has reached number-one on Billboard charts, Hot 100 Airplay, Pop 100 Airplay and Rhythmic Top 40, as well as the ARC Weekly Top 40 and iLike Profiles: Most Added and Libraries: Most Added. On March 18, 2008, "With You" was the most-added song by iLike users into their iTunes or Windows Media Library. It was number one on the Hot 100 airplay chart for six consecutive weeks. "With You" has reached the top ten on Billboard charts, Pop 100, Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs, Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay, Hot Digital Songs, Hot Digital Tracks, Hot Videoclips Tracks and Hot RingMasters. So far, it has sold 1,989,973 copies in digital downloads and peaked at number three on the US iTunes Top 100. It has been certified Platinum by the RIAA. "With You" was ranked ninth on the Billboard Year-End Singles Chart for 2008.
Across Oceania, the single charted equally well. In New Zealand, the song debuted in late 2007 at number twenty-five, and eventually reached number one in the eighth week of 2008 after having spent several weeks in the top ten, replacing Flo Rida's "Low". "With You" remained at number one for four consecutive weeks, before being replaced by Chris Brown's own collaboration with Jordin Sparks on the single "No Air". It has been certified Platinum by RIANZ for sales in excess of 15,000. "With You" debuted at number twenty-four on the Australian ARIA singles chart, based on digital sales alone, and ascended nine places to number-fifteen the following week after being physically released. It has since peaked at number-five, becoming the most successful single from the album to date, surpassing its predecessor, "Kiss Kiss," which reached number-eight. "With luv it<3You" was certified Platinum by ARIA for sales in excess of 70,000 copies.
The song also became a hit across the Europe and Asia. It has already made its debut in most of European countries because of its huge airplay, even before the physical release. In the UK it debuted on the chart at number sixty-three, before rising to number fourteen in its sixth week and then dropping three places to number seventeen. But in its eight week, "With You" jumped nine places to number eight on the UK Singles Chart, becoming his highest-charting single there since "Run It!" hit number two in 2005. So far, it has sold 221,750 copies in the UK, becoming his second biggest seller there so far, and the 40th best selling single of the year, despite only peaking at number eight. It also has reached number eleven in Euro Hot 200 and number fifteen in European Hot 100 Singles, becoming his highest-charting single since "Run It!" peaked at number two in the first-quarter of 2006.
So far, it has reached number-one various singles and airplay chart around the world including in Gibraltar, Indonesia, New Zealand, Singapore and USA , number 2 in Canada, top ten in Australia, Cyprus, France, Ireland, Malaysia, Portuguese, Romania, Turkey, and the United Kingdom. The song also helped the album reach new peak position in several countries, entering the top five in New Zealand, top ten in Australia, the UK and Ireland. "With You" is also Brown's highest charting single to date in France, where it has reached a peak position of number-eleven. 
- American Idol Season 7 runner-up David Archuleta performed this song in the Top 3 round. However, Randy Jackson thought that using the word "boo", which is in the first lyrics, did not come natural to Archuleta. Because of the performance, "With You" re-entered the top twenty on US iTunes Top 100 and peaked at number 17. According to Archuletafans.com, Brown states he was honored to have his song sung by Archuleta.
- Before his discovery, Canadian singer Justin Bieber posted his rendition of singing "With You" on his YouTube. The cover was instrumental in Bieber's discovery and eventual signing with Usher and Island Def Jam. Brown personally called Bieber and congratulated him on his YouTube recognition.  Bieber performs the song sometimes during his U.S. promotion tour, and he performed it in his set while touring with Taylor Swift on her second United Kingdom leg of her Fearless Tour.
|Lists of miscellaneous information should be avoided. Please relocate any relevant information into appropriate sections or articles. (August 2009)|
- The official remix features Karina Pasian
- The song appears on the international soundtrack to the Brazilian soap opera Beleza Pura.
- The video won Best Male Video at the 2008 MTV Video Music Awards. Chris Brown stated that he personally didn't deserve the award and thought Lil Wayne was going to win it.
- The song was used in the 5th segment of the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2008
- The song was used in MTV's show Taking the Stage when Tyler performed a dance for Jasmine.
Formats and tracklisting
UK CD single
- "With You" [Main Version] - 4:14
- "With You" [B&B Remix] - 17:09
Australian CD single
- "With You" [Main Version] - 4:14
- "Fallen Angel" - 5:34
- "With You" [Instrumental] - 4:14
- "With You" [Enhanced Video]
Australian iTunes Digital Single
- "With You" [Main Version] - 4:14
- "With You" [B&B Remix] - 3:47
- "With You" [Kardinal Beats Remix] - 3:51
- "With You" [Tracy Young Remix] - 6:20
- "With You" [ Kovas Ghetto Beat Extended Remix] - 5:01
Credits and personnel
|Australian ARIA Singles Chart||5|
|Ö3 Austria Top 40||42|
|Canadian Hot 100||2|
|Dutch Singles Chart||56|
|Eurochart Hot 100 Singles||15|
|French Singles Chart||11|
|German Singles Chart||33|
|Irish Singles Chart||3|
|New Zealand RIANZ Singles Chart||1|
|Romanian Singles Chart||9|
|Swiss Singles Chart||24|
|Swedish Singles Chart||31|
|Turkish Singles Chart||1|
|UK Singles Chart||8|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||2|
|U.S. Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs||5|
|U.S. Billboard Pop 100||2|
- List of number-one singles in 2008 (NZ)
- Hot 100 Airplay number-one hits of 2008 (USA)
- ARC Weekly Top 40 number-one hits of 2008 (U.S.)
- List of number-one songs on American Top 40 of 2008
"Low" by Flo Rida featuring T-Pain
|RIANZ New Zealand number one single|
February 18, 2008 - March 10, 2008
"No Air" by Jordin Sparks duet with Chris Brown
"You're Beautiful" by James Blunt (2006)
|2008 MTV Video Music Awards Best Male Video|
- ^ ARIA Chart ARIA Chart. Accessed May 19, 2008.
- ^ a b c d Billboard Chart Billboard Chart. Accessed March 27, 2008.
- ^ New Zealand RIANZ Singles Chart New Zealand RIANZ Singles Chart. Accessed March 11, 2008.
- ^ Chris Brown With You review About.com. Accessed January 20, 2008.
- ^ Chris Brown With You review Rolling Stone. Accessed January 20, 2008."
- ^ Jayson Rodriguez, Yasmine Richard (November 8, 2007). Kanye West Put A Stop To Chris Brown's Graduation Plans MTV. Accessed December 5, 2007.
- ^ MTV Hip Hop Countdown Chart MTV Asia. Accessed April 11, 2008.
- ^ MTV Base MTV UK. Accessed April 17, 2008.
- ^ http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/yearend/chart_display.jsp?f=Hot+100+Songs&g=Year-end+Singles
- ^ lescharts.com - Chris Brown - With You
- ^ "Justin Bieber a rising star". 2009-07-27. http://justinbieberfansite.blogspot.com/2009/07/justin-bieber-rising-star.html. Retrieved 2009-10-07.
- ^ a b c d e f g h Chris Brown - With You - Music Charts aCharts. Accessed March 27, 2008.
- ^ dutchcharts.nl - Chris Brown - With You
- ^ Romanian Singles Chart
- ^ Chris Brown - With You - hitparade.ch
- ^ swedishcharts.com - Chris Brown - With You
- ^ Billboard Türkiye Top 20 Chart Retrieved on March 2007 Billboard Türkiye Magazine.